So what is a baseball cap and where did it come from? This is not your typical cap- a baseball cap is soft and rounded and has a concave hard peak projecting out. The cap generally has a logo of the team it belongs to and the back can be easily adjusted to fit the wearer’s head as it is either made of velcro, plastic or an elastic band. These caps find their roots with the Brooklyn Excelsiors who were the pioneers of the modern cap, and these became really popular among the American people around the late 1800s and early 1900s. The peak often referred to as the brim or even as the ‘bill’ has been designed to provide shade to the player’s eyes. Compared to the floppy hats of the past days, the new hats of the present days are more structured and have longer bills.
Just with every other piece of technology ever invented, baseball caps to have evolved with time which has resulted in various variations being formed. Some of the most famous types of baseball caps are listed below
- Structured caps- There are the most popular ones used in teams nowadays. They have a material called “buckram” placed in the crown of the cap which helps the cap to hold its shape.
- Unconstructed Cap- Also knows as “floppy-caps” these caps are widely popular among the fans and as easier to use as general purpose caps as well. These do not have buckram to support their structure and hence more or less lie on your forehead.
- Flatbill- The flat bill cap is a type of constructed baseball cap that has taken popularity in the recent years. It is probably most associated with the hip hop culture and is worn mostly by the newer generation who want to look different or have different ideas than the common populace. This cap is a very personal cap which reflects not only the style but also the attitude of its wearer.
- Tucker caps- Old is the new ‘new’ right? This is a style that has made a comeback the recent years is called the “trucker caps” or mesh back caps. These caps come in mostly structured styles but unconstructed ones are also available. What defines this back cap is its 4 back panels made of a material that is mesh which allows free flow of air to the head keeping the wearer cool in warm temperatures.
- Distressed cap- Another relatively newer type of cap that emerged in the past few years is the distressed cap. These caps are mostly unstructured and it appears as though the cap has been worn out a lot over the years despite it being a brand new cap. Distressing caps has gained popularity in the recent years as youngsters seek items that have a vintage look to them.
- Fitted caps- They come in various sizes like S/M/L//XL, and you can choose the one that best fits you.
These are the various types of baseball caps you should try.